Monday, May 14, 2007

Toddler as deterrent to marital discontent

Sat. night we’re running around trying to get dinner together after a long day of running errands, and planting flowers and veggies. I suggest we grill out hot dogs and hamburgers only to be informed that we have no hamburger buns. Matt asks if I want him to run to the store and get some – I say no, that it’s late and we’ll forget the hamburgers and just have hot dogs.

I turn around 5 minutes later and the man is nowhere to be found. He’s gone to the store to get hamburger buns. I’m fairly well annoyed. The grill is on, Aaron is playing “firefighter” with the hose for the 20th time that day and the only thing he is dowsing is himself, Gwen is crying in the walker and I’m still up to my elbows in potting soil.

Matt returns thinking he’s husband of the year for getting buns (I secretly am pleased since I was really craving a burger – but of course I’m not going to let that show, I have a reputation to uphold!). So he’s asking me if I’m mad at him and I’m being playfully upset with him and then it happens.

Aaron walks over to me and says:

“Momma, you love Daddy or not?”

We laughed for 5 minutes straight. Anyone currently without a toddler – I suggest you pick one up next time you’re out and about.

No comments: