Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Think Kwik Star for all your hypodermic disposal needs.

So last weekend we took a day trip up to Matt's hometown in Northern Iowa. Along the way we made several stops at convenient stores - mostly because we have a 3 year old with the bladder capacity of a squirrel.

The predominant convenient store in that area of the state is Kwik Star - formerly known as Kwik Trip until they got sued by the other franchise that can't spell the work "Quick" correctly either. I was a little caught off guard when I went into the restroom and found this: A syringe disposal unit.
Now obviously, as you can see it's labeled "for the convenience of our Diabetic customers" Now that sounds all well and good. Noble perhaps however the problem was that the first town we stopped in had a population of maybe 900 people - and that was probably counted when there was a kegger and a bonfire party going on that pulled some folks over from neighboring towns.

How many diabetics could there be in town? Is it an epidemic? And let's say the town is riddled with people suffering from this disease - do they all go to the Kwik Star bathroom when they need an insulin shot? Do they keep their used needles in one of those Ziploc or Glad tupperware knockoff containers at home for a couple weeks and then run them to the Kwik Star for safe disposal? Do traveling diabetics dispose of their hypodermics in convenient store bathrooms?

I can't claim to know any diabetics and I don't want to be insensitive to their disease or claim that I know what they go through on a daily basis to manage it. But I find it unlikely that they go around nonchalantly tossing their syringes in public bathroom trashcans.

What point am I trying to make? I don't really know - just that it was strange I guess. And it kind of struck me as perhaps a thinly disguised attempt to offer someplace for all the meth addicts to drop their needles. This suspicion was strengthened when I entered the bathroom of the convenient store in the largest city we entered. They of course had a disposal box, but it didn't say a word about Diabetics.

No comments: