Thursday, July 26, 2007

No lotion or tissues required

As you may or may not know from previous posts, I breastfeed my baby, and since I also work full time, I pump during the day. With tits like mine you would think that the bottle would runneth over, but alas it does not. I’ve been battling poor production for months now and just yesterday my pump gave out. So now I’m seriously contemplating throwing in the proverbial burp towel. After all, the kid is almost 8 months and is eating more baby food and other solid foods, and I’m quite frankly tired of my chest being an all you can eat buffet.

However, it’s not wise to just quit altogether, it needs to be done gradually and my hubbie is going to try and fix the pump so that I might continue on if I want. So last night I thought I should get out the manual pump that came with my fancy electronic one and get accustomed to it so I could use it at work today.

I hooked all the parts together, and since you must have full skin contact to test the suction, I stuck it on my belly and started pumping. Here’s what the pump looks like:

Now to get it to work you move the plunger that’s on the end in and out, in and out, in and out – you get the point. It worked fine, I was ready to put it back in its bag, but of course Aaron was witnessing all this and wanted to give it a try. So here’s my 3 year old with a breast pump on his tummy and giggling uncontrollably as his belly button is sucked in and out. I couldn’t get that thing away from him, and finally just let him play with it for about 20 minutes.

So I tried using it today at work and got less than an ounce of milk. I don’t know if it’s because my mindset is already focused on the fact that I’m quitting, or if it was the nagging sensation that I was literally jerking off - my boob.

On the bright side, when Aaron gets older and asks what masturbation is, I can say “remember that pump you had so much fun with when you were 3 years old, well . . . “

No comments: